For the purposes of the applicable data protection laws (the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679) (GDPR), together with any implementing legislation, in particular, the Data Protection Act 2018), we are responsible for your personal information. This Policy is incorporated into our Terms & Conditions (Terms & Conditions) and applies to information obtained by us through your use of the information, software, products and services made available through this website (Website).
Collection of your Personal Information
We collect information that, alone or in combination with other data, could be used to identify you (Personal Information), such as your e-mail address, name, physical address, telephone number, or employment information. If you make a purchase from us, we will collect and store your billing and credit card information. We may also collect anonymous demographic information which is not unique to you, such as your postal code, age, gender, preferences, interests and favourites (Non-Personal Information). Non-Personal Information is not linked to your Personal Information (for example, your IP address).
We will collect your Personal Information in a number of ways, including when you contact us through the Website, by telephone, post, e-mail or through the other means set out below.
We collect information that could be used to personally identify you, such as your name and contact details. We may also collect information that is not personal to you and not linked to your personal information.
When you register for an account with us
When you register for an account with us, you voluntarily give us certain Personal Information, including your:
- name and e-mail address.
- billing information, if you make a purchase or pay subscription fees. This is required to complete a commercial transaction on the Website.
When you register for an account on our Website, you provide us with personal information, such as your name, e-mail address and billing information.
Information from third parties
We collect Personal Information about you from third parties such as social media networks. We use this information to source potential customer leads.
We collect information about you from third parties that we use to help us source potential customer leads.
Other information we collect
We also collect this Personal Information as you use the Website:
- User Content. This consists of all text, documents, content or information uploaded, entered, or otherwise transmitted by you in connection with your use of the Website.
Please keep in mind that if you directly disclose Personal Information through the Website’s public message boards, this information will be available for anyone on the internet to review and see.
If you upload any user content to our Website, this may contain your personal information, which we may collect and use for the purposes described here.
Automatically collected information
When you visit our Website, we automatically collect information about your computer hardware and software such as your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times, operating system, cookie information, referring website addresses, pages visited, links clicked, text entered, mouse movements, and Internet Service Provider. We analyse and use this information to better understand how our users use the service, to maintain and improve our service, and in some cases, to publicly disclose aggregated statistics regarding our services.
We automatically collect certain information about you when you visit our Website. We use this information to analyse your use of the Website and to improve our services.
Social media single sign-on
You will be able to log in to our Website using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain Personal Information with us, such as your name and e-mail address, together with other information from your public profile.
You have the option to register and log in to our Website using social media. If you choose to do this, we’ll use certain information from your social media account to help verify your identity.
Use of your Personal Information
We collect and use your Personal Information as necessary to perform our contract with you and for our legitimate business interests, including to:
- operate the Website and deliver the services.
- communicate with you about the services you use, as well as respond to requests for assistance, including account verification support if you’ve having difficulty accessing your account. We will send a welcome email following registration to all registered users. We also periodically send service updates to registered users.
- display user content associated with your account and make sure it is available to you when you use our services.
- understand and improve how our users use and interact with our services.
- publicly disclose aggregated statistics regarding our users’ use of our services.
When you register with us and set up an account to receive our services, the legal basis for this processing is the performance of a contract between you and us and/or taking steps, at your request, to enter into such a contract. When we process any payment made by you, we process your Personal Information to prevent or detect fraud, including fraudulent payments and fraudulent use of the Website. The legal basis for this processing is compliance with our legal obligations.
With your consent, we will send you direct marketing emails from our third party partners.
We collect your personal information to perform the contract you enter into with us when you sign up to use our services. We also collect certain information when we have a good reason to do so. We will send you direct marketing emails from our partners, but only with your permission.
Storage of Personal Information
Unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law, we will only hold your Personal Information on our systems for the period necessary to fulfil the purposes outlined in this Policy, or until you request that the information be deleted in accordance with your right of erasure (see “Your rights” section below).
Even if we delete your Personal Information, we reserve the right to maintain a copy for legal, tax or regulatory purposes, but in such event, we will do so only as long as necessary to fulfil those legal, tax or regulatory purposes.
We’ll retain your personal information for no longer than is necessary.
Personal Information access and disclosure
We will only disclose Personal Information to third parties:
- when we use vendors and service providers to assist us in meeting business or operating needs, such as providing our services, hosting our Website, communicating with users, delivering and improving our services, e-mail communication, invoicing and payments, customer support services and analytics. These service providers may only access, process or store Personal Information pursuant to our instructions and to perform their duties to us, and in accordance with applicable laws and regulations; or
- when we have your explicit consent to share your Personal Information; or
- when we determine that disclosure is required to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Rocket Lawyer and users of the Website, or to respond to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or requests by public or regulatory authorities, including requests by law enforcement authorities; or
- if we sell some or all of our business or assets, we may disclose your Personal Information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets, and if the transaction closes, then your Personal Information may be transferred to the buyer.
We disclose your personal information to third parties such as service providers. We also disclose your personal information when we have your explicit consent, or if we are required to do so by law.
Transfers outside of the EEA
As part of the services offered to you through the Website, the Personal Information you provide to us may be transferred to and stored in other countries outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). By way of example, a transfer of your Personal Information may happen if one of our service providers is located in a country outside of the EEA.
We will only transfer Personal Information outside of the EEA where it is compliant with data protection legislation and the means of transfer provides adequate safeguards in relation to your Personal Information.
We may transfer your personal information to locations outside of the EEA, but only where there are appropriate safeguards in place. We may transfer your information outside the EEA if, for example, one of our service providers is located in such a location.
The Website uses “cookies” to help you personalise your online experience. A cookie is a text file that is placed by us or our remarketing partners on your hard drive by a web page server. Our cookies do not run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to your computer, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to your computer.
One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenient feature to save you time. The cookie tells the server that you have returned to a specific page. For example, if you personalise the Website pages, or register with the Website, a cookie helps the Website recall your specific information on subsequent visits. This simplifies the process of recording your Personal Information, such as your billing address or site preferences. When you return to the same Website, the information you previously provided can be retrieved, so you can easily use the Website features that you customised.
We may place the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of the Website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our Website or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the Website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to the Website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to the Website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our Website more relevant to your interests and for remarketing as described below.
How to reject cookies
If you do not want to receive cookies, you can usually choose to opt-out by modifying your browser settings to decline them. If you choose to decline cookies you may not be able to access all or parts of, or to fully experience the interactive features of, our services or web pages you visit.
Data security & integrity
We are committed to taking reasonable and appropriate steps to protect the Personal Information that we hold from misuse, loss, or unauthorised access. We do this by using a range of technical and organisational measures including measures to deal with any suspected data breach. If you suspect any misuse or loss or unauthorised access to your personal information, please let us know immediately.
The Website is designed to secure the Personal Information you provide on computer servers in a controlled, secure environment, with protections from unauthorised access, use or disclosure. When Personal Information (such as a credit card number) is transmitted to other websites, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol.
However, while we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of all data which is transmitted to the Website or to another website via the internet or similar connection. If we have given you (or you have chosen) a password to access certain areas of the Website, please keep this password safe.
Our website is designed to keep your personal information safe, however, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted over the internet or similar connection. You can do your part by keeping your password safe.
Under the GDPR, you have various rights in relation to your Personal Information, such as the rights of access, rectification, restriction, objection, portability, and erasure. Please note that these rights are subject to certain limitations set forth in applicable law.
To exercise these rights, please contact us. We will seek to deal with your request without undue delay, and in any event in accordance with the requirements of applicable laws. Please note that we may keep a record of your communications to help us resolve any issues you raise.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority (for UK residents, the Information Commissioner’s Office, or ICO) if you believe we have failed to meet our obligations regarding your Personal Information. You can contact the ICO here.
You have rights in relation to your personal information.
Third party advertising
We use remarketing services to advertise our products to you on third party websites after you have visited our Website.
If you visit, or take any action on our website, we’ll show you targeted ads on other websites you subsequently visit.
Links to third party websites
We do not intend to solicit or collect Personal Information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are under 18, do not enter information on this Website or engage our services. If you believe a child or yours under the age of 18 has entered Personal Information, please contact us to have the data removed and terminate the child’s account.
No one under the age of 18 should use our services.
Changes to this Policy
We will occasionally update this Policy to reflect company and customer feedback. We encourage you to periodically review this Policy to be informed of how we are protecting your Personal Information.
We may change this policy from time to time. We encourage you to review this policy regularly.